Staring at your packed closet for 20 minutes and still maintaining you have nothing to wear. Suddenly hating everything you own. Getting unusually upset at your reflection. If you’ve done any or all of these things lately, you might be stuck in a serious style rut, ladies. The good news? Breaking out doesn’t have to be a big song and dance that involves overhauling your entire wardrobe and spending an ungodly amount of money on labels. In fact, all it really takes is a few thoughtful tweaks to totally transform your look and break out of that style rut for good. Read on for 9 easy tips to try this second!
- If you normally wear heels, start to wear flats—and vice versa. It’s useful to think about the power footwear can harness when it comes to changing our look. After all, our clothes typically fall in line with the shoes we wear, so switching things up can lend a totally unexpected twist to pieces you already have. If you’re someone who’s in heels every day, start testing out this season’s amazingly chic flat shoes like pointy loafers, Birkenstock-style slides, or slip-on sneakers.
- Pair up colors with colors … Even if you’re someone who isn’t afraid of color, odds are you still rely pretty heavily on the neutral players in your wardrobe. That said, it’s amazing how refreshed your clothing can look when you start pairing up colors with colors. For example, instead of wearing those slouchy lavender trousers with a basic black top, why not try them with that awesome yellow blazer you have or a baby blue cashmere sweater?
… Or really amp up your neutrals if you’re not someone particularly into wearing a great deal of color—red and fuchsia isn’t for everyone, we know—why not really amp up your use of neutrals instead? It’s very easy to break out of a style rut using very basic pieces styled in new ways.
- Replace old accessories with trendy accessories. Trendy has become something of a dirty word, but in truth, there’s nothing wrong with embracing the ones you truly like. That’s what makes fashion fun, right? If you really feel like you’re in a style rut, why not seek out updated versions of accessories you already own and wear, which will absolutely make your clothes feel more now.
- Start wearing bold lipstick. The cheapest and easiest way to break out of a style rut. Play with bold lipstick shades, like matte orange, bright red, or flamingo pink. You’d be amazed how something so easy can transform your look.
- Part your hair on a different side. Obviously cutting and dying your hair are real style-rut remedies. But did you know experimenting with a brand-new look can be as simple as parting your hair on one side if you’re normally a center-part gal. In fact, it turns out there’s a science to figuring out which part flatters your facial features most.